Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A wig is born:)

And after several days of work I finally finished it tonight!

It is now that I'm done that I realize that these posts are missing quite a bit of information. You followed me from taking the tracks and sewing them to the 'wig' but this project started further back. With packs of loose hair

This is the $2 hair which is somehow better than the $1 right? The packaging was nicer and it came with a much better rubber band!... next time I'll just get the $1 hair :-p In any case It comes out of the plastic looking like pigtails.





Once I remove the little bits of cardboard I then have to separate it. And this is where that nice rubber band comes in handy

The next thing was setting up the sewing machine. I had to turn to my highest tension and set the stitch length to about 1.4 or 1.6 (still not sure which is best).


To make the tracks I realized the best thing is to measure them first then make them. Although this seems logical I couldn't quite figure out how to measure it at first. It wasn't till I was almost done that I realized exactly where everything was going.
So I took my see-through fabric which I picked up about half a yard of for $1.50 per yard. This amount made quite a few 3-4 in strips and I most likely could make an entire other set of tracks with this fabric if I knew what I was doing in the beginning... In any case the blue line is drawn with chalk to say where to start and where to stop.



The next thing is to start sewing the hair. I take about a medium sized pinch of hair. A wonderfully eyeballed measurement technique. and I hold it up to find the midpoint. This is where I will place the hair across the blue line on my fabric. Then I start to sew smoothing out the hair as I go and making sure that it doesn't catch on the presser foot or get tangled elsewhere. This is also the point where I am able to control how thin or thick the track is. And I continue this process with bits of hair until I reach the end of the blue line.
This is what it looks like after I've sewn the entire length of the line. You can see each section where I added another pinch of hair.
Then I must sew another 3 lines about 5mm away from each other. With the two sets of lines straddling the center. I could sew more lines however all the lines must go in the same direction so I have to clear the sewing machine with all the hair to put it back down and start from the 'top'. Sometimes I can do this without removing the presser foot but most times it's just easier to get the strands of hair untangled.







So this is what it looks like after sewing all 4 lines.



Then I fold it over so that two lines are on each side with the fabric on the outside and I pin it in place. Once it is pinned I tend to fold it and finger comb it to get all the straggly hairs out of the way and make sure that no random hair is bunched up and in my way for sewing.  Now I switch from a straight stitch to a zigzag stitch. It's not much of a zigzag since I set the stitch length to be about 1.6. I aim for the zigzag to be as close to the top as possible without actually sewing off the fabric.


After I sew I trim the excess fabric and I'm ready to sew it onto the wig!


This track was intended to be the final track going on the inside of the front rim.

And there it is.  Since it was sewn to the inside all you can see is the line of hair which will make it easier to blend. I decided not to do the back side because with this much hair there is no way it will be visible. Especially since I will not be doing a full ponytail.





It is fun to see out but to be safely away from tangles I keep it in a low pony tail. Now that I'm done creating it I had to play with it a bit :)
The next stage is to style it. And I know I will have to trim it but from these pictures once I put curls into it, it may not need much of a trim.



No comments:

Post a Comment