Thursday, September 23, 2010

what should I wear?

In the time it takes Cher in clueless to decide what to wear I can make a top :) I had a leftover strip of fabric from another project (post to come soon) and decided it was enough to make a top with. So I just folded it over and started sewing. This is where I'm really happy I bought my serger so I know the seams will hold and my shirt won't come apart during the day. Once I sewed the sides up, leaving room for the arm holes I put it on my mannequin and started to cut out a neckline. I decided I wanted it lower in the back than the front. After this I noticed that this would be a great top if i had abs of steel... but I don't. So I grabbed some black fabric to fill in the 'holes'.  So this is where that black part on the bottom came from. When I'm not holding my arms up there is a semi scalloped pattern between the green and black going on a diagonal.
I'm going to have to devise a new way to take pictures of myself or just leave the shirt on the mannequin for pictures.
So we have a side view to see the arm holes. The fun thing about making your own close is that the arm holes are never too big ;). I also put in a little bit of a dart. If you look closely you can see the scallop trying to appear in this picture.
And here is a view of the back :) I may go back and add black fabric to the back neckline or I may leave it. I'm slightly concerned that I made the cut a bit too wide. This can also be distracted from by adding a cross of fabric to the back so we'll see. I stitched around the neckline with my serger so it wouldn't pull at the fabric quite as much when I get into and out of it.

Hope you like it maybe I'll add one more picture later.

No comments:

Post a Comment