Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fabric!

I stop into walmart tonight with absolutely no intention of buying any fabric. Actually I was looking for rit dye since i need evening blue and teal. Unfortunally walmart didn't have it (Neither did the grocery store but it was worth a shot). However when I wondered over to the fabric they had an entire bin of fabric for $5 per bolt of about 5 yards. I thought it was a mistake at first but I asked the nice woman working there and she said it really was just $5! I managed to walk out with only 4 bolts though.

Since this fabric was really cheap I decided it is a good fabric to experiment on. (Granted I'm tempted to go back for more) I decided to make a shirt since if it works I can actually wear it. So I just took my fabric and cut out two pieces for a front and back.


Then I pinned it together at the shoulders and draped it over my mannequin.
After I just pinned it on the sides where I wanted to sew it. Since the fabric is stretchy it is easy to get off the mannequin with the pins still in it.

I just used my serger to serge all the seams as well as around any rough edge so there is a white trim to the blue shirt. After messing with it a bit with the serger I took seam glue and dabbed a bit on each place i had to cut the thread and now it is drying. When I wake up hopefully I'll have a shirt to wear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment