Monday, March 7, 2011

Skirting the issues...



Lately I've been having quite a few issues with my serger. After hearing a more or less metalic sound and having the machine 'hiccup' the left needle breaks. I'm not sure why and this is maybe the 5th needle I've used. I oiled the machine and it seemed to be doing ok for a little while but then I switched thread and snap broke the next one. So until I think of a better way to deal with it I removed the needle and have been sewing with just 3 threads.


On the down side I'm not sure how to get everything working properly, on the up side I discovered how to do a rolled hem on my machine and used this to make the skirt. I took out the left needle and switched the plate to the rolled hem plate. I used this stitch to go around three sides of the skirt.




I then put in about 5 darts into the waist and added a waistband, again using the rolled hem to attach it. I also added a tiny slip pocket to the inside to hold important stuff like a few cards and cash (not much so it doesn't become visible). All I have left is to add the two gold buttons to the outside and at least 2 buttons on the inside and a clasp on the waistband to hold it on. 





I'm very happy with how the skirt is turning out so far, I may even need to wear something like this not for a costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment