Sunday, March 6, 2011

Shion part 2

I sewed the shoulders together on the top and have come to the conclusion I will need to do quite a bit of fussing with it. There is a bit too much fabric around the arm holes in the front. I think the best way to deal with it would be a dart on each side. I also definitely made it too big so I will have to take in about one or 2 inches on each side. I'm thinking it would be better to do this after fixing the arm holes since that's how most shirts can be sized down.

I bought some black fabric (at least i'm fairly sure it's black) as I mentioned before to make the skirt. Since it's a wrap skirt I need a piece of fabric that was about 56" long and 16" wide. Lucky for me the farbic is about 60" wide so I was able to just cut off a strip of 16". I want to use the serger to hem it so I would need to switch to the black thread for that. I figure while it's running ok I'll get as much of the top done first. Then switch colors to do the skirt.

First I'll hem the bottom using the same technique as the curtains, then I'll cut it to the right 'width' and use the same hemming for each side, although I may just make the hems on the side wide enough to take up the extra fabric, at least on the side that will lay inside. I think i may make a waist band about 1" to 1.5" thick and add in 4 darts or so in the back and sides to decrease the skirt size in the waist. I have a wrap skirt given to me maybe a year ago that I can model this design after. I'm glad I can get use out of it since I rarely wear skirts.

I'm guessing the bulk of this project can be done in under 5 hours, although I'm sure there are quite a bit of tiny things that may get in the way of completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment