Tuesday, March 8, 2011

infinite shirt

   I've been messing with this pattern for an infinity dress for a while now. Since I rarely wear dresses, instead of having tons of fabric turned into dresses I won't wear, I decided to try and adapt the idea to a shirt. Instead of having the long straps (I'm almost positive they would still have to be at least 90" long and I would rather not use that much fabric in a shirt) I decided to have short straps and sew them into one of the multiple designs. Yes that's right infinity times a sewing machine is one.
Using more of the $5 fabric I decided the black fabric would be good for a test run although it doesn't stretch. I plan on adding in a waistband to the back section and with it elastic.





I cut out a 35" square piece of fabric to cut the circle section from and then used the remaining part cut in half for two 35" long straps.



In order to finish the cut edges I used white thread in my serger and did the rolled hem (The only stitch I can do on it at the moment).  I then overlapped the two straps and attached them to the circle.

After trying on the 'shirt' at this point I realized that since the straps aren't long It is impossible to hold it in the proper position while wearing it, so onto the mannequin it went.

I decided to cross the straps in the back and will sew them crossed to the back of the dress. However I can't decide if i should do this before adding the waistband or after. I'm beginning to think after this way the straps won't have any slack once the back portion is condensed with the elastic.






On the hanger it doesn't look like much but hopefully I'll get it finished in the next day or so and it will fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment