Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ummmm brella

One popular accessory is a parasol. I bought two umbrellas from walmart. One I took the fabric off of to make a pattern to make more parasols the other I decided to leave almost as is since it had a pretty black and white pattern (this one was only $5).

I altered it by cutting out a small section from each 8th of the umbrella so it curves inwards from the points. Next I bought a 30ft roll of black ribbon from walmart for $4 and ran it through my sewing machine with a long stitch. My initial thought was to use the thread to gather the ribbon but since one side was slippery and shiny and the other was matte with a bit more friction The ribbon gathered itself while i was sewing!
My next step was to pin it to the edge of the umbrella. I then tried to place the entire umbrella on my sewing machine to sew on the new trim however the spokes made it extremely difficult and I wasn't able to properly attach the ribbon. So I moved on to hand sewing and stitched the ribbon to the umbrella all the way around.

Next I stitched some ribbon around the top bit to match the bottom. Although there are two rows of ribbon at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment