Friday, June 3, 2011

Shirt construction

A few years back I spent a summer working as a hostess in a restaurant (my only food related job... they had the best dinner rolls). Well the dress code required us to buy these utility-like dress shirts with the collars starched like crazy (we had to get them dry-cleaned). Well after I left the job I had two of these shirts and haven't worn them since.


A while ago I had bought elastic thread to go into the sewing machine. You wrap it kind of tightly around a bobbin and just sew with it as you normally would. So I sewed in about 5 strips across the entire shirt and two more in the back. I found that you have to check that the thread catches the bobbin each time you start to sew with the elastic since at least ever two times it seemed to miss it.
My lines weren't completely straight but good enough for a nighttime project.

After this I added the trim. Walmart had a bunch of ribbon and balls of "lace" for $1. This lace was a bit wide but repeated the same pattern on each side so I folded it in half and sewed it down the middle to get a double effect to one side. Then I sewed this with the ribbon on top down each side of the buttons.

Next I decided to cut off the collar to give it a more Victorian look.



I also sliced off the arms as well. I saved the cuffs separately.


Next I put darts in the arm holes to close them up a bit and added the ribbon around them. After wearing the shirt with the cuffs for a day I realized I wanted to add ribbon trim to the cuffs as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment