Monday, May 16, 2011

Slow and steady

So after a discussion with some friends I decided that acquiring a slow-cooker was a good idea and not nearly as expensive as I had originally thought. For some reason I thought buying a slow cooker would set me back by somewhere between $40 and $60. I know I have spent more than that in one shopping trip the the fabric store, however on one appliance it seemed a bit steep. I was talking to my friends about how I really liked to buy the whole roasted chickens from the store because they're easy to make into sandwiches put on salads and also just to eat. I always try to wait for them to go on sale but sometime they aren't nearly so tender as I would like. A long story slightly longer, my friend told me I should be able to find a small one for only about $20 so I figured why not?
I went online and found this nice one from West Bend it is a 4-Quart Crockery Cooker. It seems fairly stable and the inner pot is nice and solid.
So far I've tried one recipe for chicken. I found it on the internet but no idea where if i come across the link again I'll post that, however at the moment here is how I modified the recipe
Ingredients:
    •    150g(about 2/3c) soy sauce
    •    100g(about 2/3c) cup brown sugar
    •    164g(one small can) Low sodium V8
    •    Salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper
    •    2 pounds chicken thighs (about 4 or 5 thighs) with skin and bone
Preparation:
1. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar and juice and a small dash of crushed red pepper and a larger dash of black pepper in the bottom of the crockpot Stir.
2. Wash the chicken thighs and mix to coat with a bit of salt(not too much just used a few shakes) pepper and red pepper flakes.
2. Add the chicken in the sauce and make sure they are coated in the sauce.
3. Cook on low heat for 5-6 hours (apparently overcooking is difficult for this recipe). When the Chicken is done the meat falls off the bone when removed :).




It was so yummy and all I had to do was nudge the chicken and the bone just fell out!

No comments:

Post a Comment