Monday, May 23, 2011

a maid in the making

After a night of sleeplessness I finally decided I might as well finish this project and just see how it turns out.


Several months ago I started with Butterick pattern B4087 using version E the full length apron with ruffles. I had to make a few alterations with the pattern. I rounded out the corners of the bottom part of the apron and added ruffles. I widened the waist band and changed the neckline from square to heart shaped.



I cut out the pattern pieces from some white fabric I purchased maybe a year ago. I used my serger to finish the edges of the ruffles and pockets by using a rolled hem. I used a wide basting stitch to gather the ruffles. 
I pinned the ruffle to the bottom part of the apron right sides together and then used the serger to attach the two.



Next I decided to wait on the skirt part and work on the bib. I sewed together the bib with the shoulder straps, then gathered the ruffles just like I did with the bottom ruffle. I then based them to the straps. I cut out two pieces to use one as a lining in order to get clean lines for the neckline. Once I had the lining and front piece with ruffle pinned together I serged the outside edges. Then I rolled the ruffles tight and pinned them so I could serge the inner neckline.  I didn't want the ruffles to get caught in the  serger. After sewing the pieces together I flipped it outside in. I poked myself once with a pin when trying to turn the bib but I caught it fast enough not to get blood on the white material. After poking myself with a pin I put on a vinyl disposable glove to protect the fabric.

I next sewed the pockets to the skirt of the apron. I used the serger to make a rolled hem on the top of the pocket then folded around the other 'three' edges (they're not really edges since it's round) and basted this in place. After I used the sewing machine to sew the pockets with a thin stitch near the edge and ripped out the basting stitches.


I then matched the skirt to the waist band and serged these together and matched one side of the bib of the apron to the other side of the waist band and serged these. I also used the rolled hem to hem the long edges of the ties and serged these to the waist band.

The only thing I have left to do is place buttons on the waist band and the straps to attach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment