Sunday, October 24, 2010

A bit of a cinch

Instead of dying the fabric for my corset I decided to just buy duck cloth that I found at a Joann Farbic store about 45 min away from me. Since I had already bought the white duck cloth I decided to use it as stiffening instead of buying interfacing and spending more money.
I cut out 4 of each pattern piece from the pattern I had altered and made out of muslin.

I cut the white close to the size of the pattern and cut the blue slightly larger.








To put it together I used double fold extra wide bias tape in canary.

I decided to sew each piece together by sewing it to the bias tape then afterward I sewed the fabric together making a case of yellow at each join in the pattern

As you can see in this picture I managed to sew the last two pattern pieces upsidedown.
I realized this before sewing the front to the back so I had to take out all the stitching for the once casing and switching it around. Next time I must make sure I label my pattern pieces better.


You can see that the yellow looks like a part of the corset!





I sewed the front to the back. I thought it would be a great idea to use my serger to do this since I used it to make the casings with the yellow, however I now realize it won't sew through 6 layers of duck cloth on top of 2 layers of fabric.. I found this out when my needle broke. Tomorrow I look to see if I have extra needles.


After sewing across the top sides and the bottom of the first section and turned it inside out, Then I took the boning and sewed a bit across the top of the white boning case and slid it all the way into the yellow case. I cut each with about 1/2in for the hem.


Next I must add either snaps or some other way to close it and hand sew the bottom .

No comments:

Post a Comment