Sunday, November 19, 2017

Zabuton

I started this post back in March of 2016... but apparently never posted it (i forgot to add the images...which I've done now)


My old futon disappeared in my move and instead of getting a new one... or replacing it with a proper couch, I decided I rather liked the open space and would rather sit on the floor. This was great until my bottom complained. So instead I decided for a while it would be fine to use my stuffed animal. He is very comfortable but not exactly practical. This is when I started my hunt for seat cushions. I had wanted to buy zabuton(座布団) while in Japan bit couldn't fit it into my suitcase so I started searching the internet. I came across lots of yoga supply stores selling them for around $35 to $60 each.
My craft room has barely been touched in months... so I decided this is a great project to get back on the proverbial horse.
I found all purpose foam at home depot for $25 that is 24x72x3 this is slightly bigger than normal zabuton but I like it soft and big enough to curl up on and sit multiple ways.
I know I have razor blades somewhere to cut the foam with... however after looking for about 20 min I figure they are a casualty of the moving war and ordered an xacto knife online for $5.
Once this came I was able to easily cut the foam into 3 relatively equal pieces.
Next to cover them. I've decided to try and use


up some of the fabric I have and found several yards of muslin. I cut squares and sewed three of the edges up and put the foam inside. I then slip-stiched the last side closed.
One thing I learned is if you are watching TV and reading subtitles while sewing ...you should probably also wear a thimble.



Once the foam was encased in the muslin i sewed down the corners as well.








Next I went hunting for more fabric and found some purple and black 'leftover' fabric. I decided to do triangles to make things a bit more interesting. Unfortunately this lends itself to even numbers and since I had 3 cushions, one ended up being stripes.
I arranged the fabric to be triangles on the front and stripes on the back.

 The cushions are a tight fight into the cases, but they are removable. I've used them almost every day since I made them and they are holding up well. I can take the covers off and wash them periodically but the muslin stays. Three cushions for $30 - not too bad!





No comments:

Post a Comment