Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gift for Lily

So what could I possibly get for a 1yr old girl? My friend Jen's daughter Lily turned 1 and I wasn't able to make the birthday party. But I was able to see them a few months later. So I asked my self what could I get her that would be unique. Then a friend of mine sent me This Link. I figure what kid wouldn't want an internet meme around. (At least it would be an interesting story for later in life).

So I started by searching for plushie patterns for cats. And found this cat pattern. I used the head, tail and legs.

After a trip to Joann's fabric and Walmart I was able to find pick fabric and grey for the strawberry color and the cat. I already had the tan fabric for the rest of the 'body' and I got 6 different ribbons of the various colors.



I cut out the appropriate size head body and strawberry filling and then measured and cut twice the length of ribbon for each color.
Next I went over to a friend's house and borrowed her fabric markers. A pinkish/purple one to make tiny squares on the filling and pink, white, and black to color the face.
I sewed the strawberry filling to the brown portion of the poptart.

Then I loosely followed the pattern to cut 4 tiny legs and a tail. Sewed them all on 3 sides leaving the top open for stuffing.





Next I tackled the rainbow. I sewed all of the strips together first. Second I cut it in half to get the same size and cut into 4 strips of rainbow 'fabric'.  I then sewed the pieces together in such a way that i ended up with two strips of four pieces each that are slightly off center in order to give the wavy appearance. I then sewed the two pieces together and used fray glue on the seams. After using the glue I hung it up so it could dry for a few days. 


Next I borrowed stuffing from a friend and stuffed the legs, tail and head. I sewed up the head except for the bottom and stuffed it. I attached the stuffed legs and tail to one side of the poptart body. Next I sewed the rainbow to the poptart body so that the tail is on top of the rainbow.

I had originally stuffed the rainbow part and then un-stuffed it a bit because it was too hard to sew on the sewing machine

Now the body is open only on one the end.




After hand sewing the bottom of the head and the side of the body I then sewed the head to the body by hand. It was difficult with both parts stuffed however secure. Next time I try it I will sew on the head before stuffing the body.

After a trip into the city Lily got the stuffed nyan cat and we found out it's just as long as she is tall! If anything it will be a convenient pillow for years to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment