Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Baby blankets

I finished the spiral baby blanket. After I finished with the final skein of yarn I realized why it folds over so much. I misread the pattern and instead of adding 26 extra stitches to each row I was adding 52! So instead of having the frilly border the pattern called for I just decided that I was doing a simple border and leaving it at that. I figure I'll try again but next time increasing much slower...

However I did decide I wanted to start this other checkered pattern. I used Caron's Simply soft  yarn in Orchid(9717) and Off White. It calls for 2 skeins of the main color and 1 of the 'white', however since I'm using a slightly larger hook I think I will most likely go through 3-4 6oz skeins of the main color(Orchid) and at most just over 1 of the off white.
This blanket has gone very fast. I started it just over a week ago I think. Although I did quite a bit over the holiday break.

The left picture has a pencil in the middle for size comparison. These are three of the 5 strips needed to make the blanket. They are all the same. Starting with 10 rows of checkerboard pattern

The next two rows will alternate with these and start with 10 solid rows. 6 oz of the orchid got me through almost 2 of these rows but since the next 2 rows will include more solid blocks then checkered so I expect to use more yarn. I currently have about 3-4 oz of orchid left and I most likely will use at least 3 per row.

Since it's close to the end of the semester I expect work on this to slow down (Or at least I hope so since I have so much work to do!) But even still this is an addictive pattern so I expect it to be done in the next 2-3 weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment